Monday, February 20, 2017

Nostalgia

It's a rainy day. I have the day off and the house to myself. Perfect. I decided to pull out some DVD's that I like to watch but no one else in the house enjoys. It's no secret I love history so I have a lot of video related to that. Today I watched part of a 2 set about D-Day. It is all actual footage and a lot of voice over from soldiers of the day.It's interesting to see the actual men and women of the time, and more real than just reading about it. Some of the bonus features included how America was pulling together to help "our boys over there," as well as war bond commercials. It's nice to see how we American's banded together for a common cause. Sure things weren't perfect back during that time period, but we were definitely unified, and our Christian roots were much more evident across society. I hope we are headed back to that.
As I write this I have "The Little Rascals" playing, not the updated movie but the good old black and white originals. Makes me long for simpler times. A time of innocence, when communities were more bonded and connected than we are now. Sometimes I wish I had lived back in those days despite the hardships. But alas we are placed in the time we are in, by God, for a purpose. (and I do enjoy our modern conveniences that I wouldn't have had back then!) There have been such amazing advancements in the last 100 plus years, that I wonder what Spanky, Alfalfa and the gang would think if they saw where we are now!

No comments:

Post a Comment